2003 Jan 26 14:24

Re: [vox] [OT] SBC to sue LUGOD?

on Sun, Jan 26, 2003 at 01:57:06AM -0800, Michael J Wenk (mwenk@comcast.net) wrote:
> > ps- can you *imagine* the world we'd be living in if da vinci or
> > galileo could've patented their inventions?

da Vinci is reported to have published intentionally misleading (and
potentially fatal) information about his inventions, largely to require
that people contact him for the final plans.  This was a Renaissance
version of the crippled demo release, though in this case, you were the
cripple....  Some say this behavior sprang from the lack of a workable
patent regime.

> The other thing I cannot stand is patent renewal.  Patents should be
> good for a fixed time and not be renewable.

There are a couple of things at play here.

I believe that now supersceded regulation required patents be renewed at
7 and 14 years, or the full 17 year term would not be realized.

Current regulations appear to allow an extension, not more than 5 years,
in the case of drug patents, and subject to FDA regulations.  I can't
penetrate the legal haze, but you'll find discussion in 35 USC 154 &
155:

    http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/35/pIIch14.html

Peace.