2003 Jan 26 12:16

Re: [vox] [OT] SBC to sue LUGOD?

> ps- can you *imagine* the world we'd be living in if da vinci or galileo
> could've patented their inventions?

Being the devil's advocate here, Its really immaterial.  If a product or
service is good enough, than people will pay for it.  Patents just provide a
way for people and companies to make money off of their product(well to not
allow others to make money off of their product w/o their consent.)  Im all
for patent and copyrighting.  What irks me most about this is that it is
likely that the patent holder wasn't the first to think of this or do it.  I
don't mind if the guy who comes up with the idea makes money, but it bugs me
that the guy or company that sees and copies it, tries to make money and
forces everyone to play by their rules.

The other thing I cannot stand is patent renewal.  Patents should be good
for a fixed time and not be renewable.  I don't mind rewarding ingenuity but
I don't think patents should be used to encourage sloth and inefficiency.
And to answer your question directly, Nothing would be different had da
vinci or gallileo or any other inventor had been protected by patents.  Its
been so long that the patent period is more like an eyeblink than anything
else.