2003 Jan 26 01:15

Re: [vox] [OT] SBC to sue LUGOD?

on Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 10:46:04PM -0800, Bill Kendrick (nbs@sonic.net) wrote:

> Interesting article on Kuro5hin:
>

> ----- Forwarded message from K5 <help@kuro5hin.org> -----
>
> SBC's Jack-Booted IP Thugs Launch Shakedown Racket
>   By FuzzyOne, 2003-01-25 14:20:52
>   Section: MLP, Topic: Technology
>
> Does your site use framesets for navigation?  Are there navigation
> indicators or tabs that remain in the same location as you move from page
> to page on your favorite site [http://www.kuro5hin.org/]?  If so, start
> checking your mail and your finances--the Intellectual Property department
> of telecom concern SBC Communications [http://www.sbc.com/] is coming to
> call and they want to be paid [http://www2.museumtour.com/sbc.html].
>
> http://www.kuro5hin.org/story/2003/1/25/0115/73234
>
> ----- End forwarded message -----

Robert X. Cringely (the PBS one) is talking about this in his current
column:

He also proposes a challange:

    So here's the plan.  If you are a web designer or were involved with
    the design of web pages prior to May 17, 1996 and can come up with
    an example of a page that would appear to violate the SBC patent but
    that was available for use before the SBC application date, then
    please come forward and show that the patent isn't valid.

    For those of us who weren't involved in such issues back in 1996 or
    before, but who still want to take part in this exercise, a good
    place to start would be at the Internet Archive' Wayback Machine,
    where many old pages are stored.  This, too, is listed under that
    allegedly illegal "I Like It!" button.  Start searching the billions
    of pages in the archive, specifically looking before May 17, 1996.
    Unfortunately, the archive only goes back to 1996 and I was unable
    to find any offending pages using the Advanced Search feature, but
    your mileage may vary.

So get grepping...

Peace.

   GNU/Linux web browsing mini review:  Galeon.  Kicks ass.
     http://galeon.sourceforge.org/