2003 Jan 26 00:12

Re: [vox] [OT] radio shack

Hm, a place in Sacramento with knowledgeable salespeople that's in a
crummy-looking neighborhood? That sounds like HSC (http://www.halted.com)
to me. Might that be it?

I went there one time in 2001 and they had this absolute piece-of-crap
server (low-end Pentium) with a Positive Communications property tag on
it. Back when I used to work there (1999), the file server was always
dog-slow at all times of the day, and if they were still using like a P-90
with slow IDE disks then, it explains the crappy network performance.

Surplus stores can be fun. =)

Peter Jay Salzman said:
> hi jim,
>
> rhonda and i went to a place in sacramento.  can't remember the name,
> but it's an electronics store that mark kim had suggested.
>
> i gave the guy a number of obscure chips numbers, and the guy was
> actually able to deduce i was messing around with a macrovision signal
> layered into a video signal.
>
> how's that for knowing a product?  the dude was pretty awesome.  i
> would've gone there more often, but it's quite far from here, and it's
> in a kinda bad neighborhood to boot.
>

> i guess i fall under the category of too young to remember.   too bad,
> that radio shack sounds great.    :-/
>
> pete
>

> begin Jim Lowman <jmlowman@directvinternet.com>
>> This was one reason that I avoided RS if at all possible.  If I did go
>>  there out of sheer desperation, I would refuse to give them the info.
>> A complaint to the corporate office was summed up by the response that
>> "...we consider it a legitimate business practice and will continue to
>> ask for the information..."  Guess we can't underestimate the power of
>> mass complaining.
>>
>> It's a shame...many of you on this list are too young to remember the
>> "real" RS of years past.  They started out as a mailorder firm, and
>> had
>> this great free catalog; probably > 400 pages of every electronic
>> component known to man.  They also sold things like shortwave and
>> amateur radios.  Now their big thing is cellphones and satellite TV
>> setups.
>>
>> RS bashing was so prevalent on some of the amateur radio lists that I
>> belong to, that it became a near-taboo subject.
>>
>> We're fortunate to have two real electronics stores here; one each in
>> San Bernardino and Riverside...sort of like the old hardware stores,
>> before Home Depot and the like.  Usually, though, I find the need for
>> some  obscure part on Sunday or after 5:00, when neither are open.
>>
>> As far as knowledgeable salespeople...well...show me a place today
>> that has anyone who knows much about the product that they sell.
>> Sometimes if I'm in a cranky mood when I go to CompUSA, I'll ask an
>> obscure question to see what sort of bogus story that I get...then
>> I'll mention what I do for a living.  :-)
>>
>> Jim
>>

>> Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
>> >
>> > i think radio shack's ad campaign is hilarious.
>> >
>> > they're touting "we no longer ask for your name and phone number" as
>> > if this new policy is some extra added value feature that you "win"
>> > when you to a local radio shack outlet.
>> >
>> > when in fact, i'm wondering how much public outrage it took for them
>> > to do away with this seriously invasive procedure.  it's almost too
>> > bad. i used to love giving them names like "bud weiser".

> --
> First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you,
> then you win. -- Gandhi, being prophetic about Linux.

No PGP signature because I'm far from home and sending via webmail.