2003 Jan 31 21:41

Re: [vox] [OT] radio shack

This was one reason that I avoided RS if at all possible.  If I did go
there out of sheer desperation, I would refuse to give them the info.
A complaint to the corporate office was summed up by the response that
"...we consider it a legitimate business practice and will continue to
ask for the information..."  Guess we can't underestimate the power of mass complaining.

It's a shame...many of you on this list are too young to remember the "real" RS of years past.  They started out as a mailorder firm,
and had
this great free catalog; probably > 400 pages of every electronic
component known to man.  They also sold things like shortwave and amateur
radios.  Now their big thing is cellphones and satellite TV setups.

RS bashing was so prevalent on some of the amateur radio lists that I belong to, that it became a near-taboo subject.

We're fortunate to have two real electronics stores here; one each in San
Bernardino and Riverside...sort of like the old hardware stores, before
Home Depot and the like.  Usually, though, I find the need for some
obscure part on Sunday or after 5:00, when neither are open.

As far as knowledgeable salespeople...well...show me a place today that has anyone who knows much about the product that they sell.
Sometimes if I'm in a cranky mood when I go to CompUSA, I'll ask an obscure question to see what sort of bogus story that I
get...then I'll mention what I do for a living.  :-)

Jim