2003 Jan 25 08:57

[vox] OT: Hole in MS SQL server (unpatched)

[vox] OT: Hole in MS SQL server (unpatched)

*Ohhhhh* *This* certainly is a security announcement for *this* list. ;-)

With subject titles like
"MS SQL WORM IS DESTROYING INTERNET BLOCK PORT 1434!"

I am mildly amused... Part of me wants to reply to a post and suggest: "In
order to decrease risk for this attack, it is suggested that you upgrade
from MS Windows to a Linux system such as Debian Linux with either
Postgresql or mySQL."

http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/308306

Heheh heheh.. I write this to the list for two reasons:
1) Humor (Most of use are running Linux, and can pause to laugh)
2) So you can know why you might see excessive hits on a port if you
monitor port scans for services.

-ME