2003 Jan 31 20:06

Re: [vox] [OT] radio shack

Up spake Joel Baumert on Wed, Jan 22, 2003 at 04:55:12PM -0800:
> I have always wondered if they could actually bar my way
> out of the store if I decided not to show them my receipt?
>
> The transaction was carried out at the register... I gave
> them money for the product which is now mine.  The receipt
> is mine... I don't think that they have any right to detain
> me at that point.  If they decided to hold me at that point
> wouldn't it be false arrest or unlawful search and search
> and seizure?

IANAL.  My understanding of the law is that they cannot bar your
way unless they are accusing you of theft/fraud/some other bona fide crime.
They can refuse to do business with you altogether (not an issue after
you've passed the register), but they can't search your bags without your
permission.

Their signs stating that they "reserve the right to search you" are
bollocks; they can't reserve a right they never had.  They could just
as well put up a sign that says they reserve the right to kill you.

Bill said:
> Lose Windows now, ask me how!

Does it involve a young priest and an old priest?

--nicole twn

***
"A little pain never hurt anyone."--from the Compendium of Rarely Used Cliches
Visit www.nicolopolis.com ... digital nonsense for a weary world.