2003 Jan 22 21:02

Re: [vox] a very novice Linux user

You need to mount the filesystem first so that you can access it. Open a terminal and scope out the /mnt directory. Become superuser, i.e. type "su" in the shell and enter your root password. Next make a new directory to mount to. For example, to make a driectory to mount your win drive to, type
mkdir /mnt/windoze

Next use the mount command to mount the filesystem to the directory you just created, throw
mount -t vfat /dev/hda1 /mnt/windoze

(assumes you repartitioned your existing win drive when you installed linux, otherwise the "/dev/___" part is different)
then chmod the directory so you don't need to be root to write to the drive
something like
chmod 777 /mnt/windoze

to mount a cdrom, the fstype is probably iso9660, if you burned it on a mac it might be hfs
so to process roughly looks like
to make the directory (as root)
mkdir /mnt/cdrom

then throw
mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom

(again the device path "/dev/___" depends on how your drives are set up)

btw windows has a tendency of truncating files with multiple extensions, so somefile.tar.gz might get shortened to somefile.tar and you might have to rename the files once you get them into *nix.

lates

Dave

David Jeffrey Barnum wrote:

How do you access floppies and CD-ROMs using Debian. And can you access Windows formatted disks using Debian? I downloaded some programs for Linux in WIndows. Thanks for the help.

David

Bill Kendrick wrote:

"Lose Windows Now - Ask Me How"

http://www.cafeshops.com/cp/prod.aspx?p=lugod.4528171