2003 Jan 21 09:15

Re: [vox] In Memorium

begin Joel Baumert <kender@geeksource.net>
> On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 03:05:39PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > i see this as red hat's fault.  it's the infamous "dot-oh" syndrome.
> > they should be releasing their dot-oh's as "beta" and simply not market
> > them at all.
>
> This is not a fair evaluation of RedHat 8.0.  I have found this
> RedHat's best "dot-oh" release so far.  I have installed it on
> multiple machines and in some cases had better luck than with 7.3.

could be.  all i know about redhat is what people tell me and what i see
on sites like lwn.net and slashdot.

i jumped on-board of linux when redhat was at 5.0.   5.0, 6.0 and 7.0
were all pitiful (i had the misfortune of installing 5.0 and 6.0 myself
before i gave up on redhat and switched to suse).

maybe they got their act together with 8.0.  stranger things have
happened.  :)

> On one machine, that I had problems with under 7.3 was my first
> look at Debian, but I had to scrap that because the version of
> X that was required for the video card wasn't available in
> testing yet.

debian strike force!

pete