2003 Jan 20 16:27

Re: [vox] In Memorium

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 03:05:39PM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> i see this as red hat's fault.  it's the infamous "dot-oh" syndrome.
> they should be releasing their dot-oh's as "beta" and simply not market
> them at all.

This is not a fair evaluation of RedHat 8.0.  I have found this
RedHat's best "dot-oh" release so far.  I have installed it on
multiple machines and in some cases had better luck than with 7.3.

On one machine, that I had problems with under 7.3 was my first
look at Debian, but I had to scrap that because the version of
X that was required for the video card wasn't available in
testing yet.  RedHat 8.0 went on fine.

Most of my problems with 8.0 were because of my poor understanding
of iptables.  After I got the firewalling set up properly
everything else was working fine.

There are advantages and disadvantages to many of the different
distributions.  I happen to like RedHat and all the others
suck :-P".

Joel