2003 Jan 21 03:14

Re: [vox] In Memorium

on Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 02:54:54PM -0800, Richard S. Crawford (rscrawford@mossroot.com) wrote:
> Today my friend BW informed me that he's ditching Linux for good.
> Together we worked on updating his RH 7.2 installation to RH 8.0, but he
> can't get his sound card recognized, and he is having issues with Red
> Carpet.  So he's moving back to Windows.

A few comments.

  - GNU/Linux is about choice.  Including the choice not to use it.

  - Offloading support-heavy users to Microsoft is a net gain for
    GNU/Linux.  We'll take the smart folks.  Over time this leads to a
    perception that GNU/Linux causes fewer problems than MSFT (in
    theory, at least).

  - Comments about supporting .0 RH releases, and dealing with RH
    upgrades in general, are well taken.  Debian may have a *slightly*
    higher up-front ramp, but in maintenance mode, it's a dream.

  - The value of Knoppix as a hardware configuration troubleshooting
    tool cannot be overstated.  It's wonderful to boot a system with
    Knoppix, watch pretty damned near anything get autoconfigured, and
    roll with it.

Peace.