2003 Jan 18 16:07

Re: Nigerian scam so widespread (Was Re: [vox] Spam from vox)

Re: Nigerian scam so widespread (Was Re: [vox] Spam from vox)

begin Bill Kendrick <nbs@sonic.net>
> On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 09:36:22AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > ps- karsten has an excellent piece on the nigerian scam.  you can prolly
> >    google for it.  actually, that's how i first came to know him.  i
> >    believe he wrote it before the scam became so widespread.
>
> It's funny... The Nigerian scam _is_ so widespread, and frankly I think I
> get at least one a day, that it has become cliche.  It's amazing to me that
> anyone's even serious about sending it out any more.

it's rare that i see them anymore.

like joel, i've basically cut off most of asia from sending email to
lugod.org and dirac.org, except i do make a concerted effort to cut off
only where the spam is coming from: mostly china and turkey, but also
japan, korea and thailand.

i've also blocked most of africa.

if a network sends two pieces of spam in a short period of time to
lugod.org or dirac.org, they get banned.   i keep track of what i get
from whom.  takes me a long time, but i feel better about blocking out
huge portions of the globe.

> (In other words, it's hard for me to imagine that honest-to-goodness
> Nigerian scammers are the ones sending them out, and not 17-year-old
> hacker-wanna-be anti-establishment "let's mess with the dumb people"
> punk kids!)

a woman called up the howard stern show a few months ago and wanted to
know where her money was.  turns out she was from the hills of west
virginia, and the "nigerian scam" email that she fell for gave the
howard stern toll free number for call-ins.

it was hilarious because it took the woman 5 minutes of explaining (and
5 minutes is an eternity on the radio) that it's possible for emails to
contain "phoney telephone numbers".

pete