2003 Jan 18 16:10

Nigerian scam so widespread (Was Re: [vox] Spam from vox)

Nigerian scam so widespread (Was Re: [vox] Spam from vox)

On Sat, Jan 18, 2003 at 09:36:22AM -0800, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
<snip>

> ps- karsten has an excellent piece on the nigerian scam.  you can prolly
>    google for it.  actually, that's how i first came to know him.  i
>    believe he wrote it before the scam became so widespread.

It's funny... The Nigerian scam _is_ so widespread, and frankly I think I
get at least one a day, that it has become cliche.  It's amazing to me that
anyone's even serious about sending it out any more.

(In other words, it's hard for me to imagine that honest-to-goodness
Nigerian scammers are the ones sending them out, and not 17-year-old
hacker-wanna-be anti-establishment "let's mess with the dumb people" punk kids!)

:)