2003 Jan 17 11:19

Re: [vox] re. FAT size restrictions

When I had the shared partition formatted as FAT32, I saw a kernel
message claiming that FAT32 write support was alpha-level only, which is
why I switched to FAT16.  I considered Pete's suggestion of -- uh --
that piece of software that would allow a Windows user to write to an
ext3 filesystem, but saw that was pretty experimental as well.  I needed
something that would let me read and write consistently and reliably to
the shared partition from both Windows and Linux; hence my decision to
use FAT16.

Originally, the partition was set to 5GB.  When I tried to format that
partition in parted, it would not allow me the option of formatting in
FAT16, so I resized the partition to 4GB.  At that point, I could format
fine in FAT16 from parted.  Just to double check, I booted into Windows,
and reformatted the partition as FAT16.  No problems.  I've written
files to the partition from both OS's, and read them just fine as well.
If there are size restrictions, my system does not appear to be
suffering any consequences. :)

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 10:45, Samuel Merritt wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 09:27:25AM -0800, Kevin Hooke wrote:
> [snip]
> > On a related note: does anyone use the ntfs write support for mounting
> > ntfs partitions, and does it work ok? The docs at
> > http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/ mention thats it not recommended to
> > use the write support... how likely is it to corrupt data? Anyone know
> > when write support will be available?
>
> I used it with only one filesystem corruption for several months once
> (Mandrake 8.2 stock kernel, 2.4.18 I think). But then, that one
> corruption so mangled the filesystem that reformatting was the only
> option, and I've kept it readonly since then.
>
> > Thanks, Kev
> >
> [snip]
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford