2003 Jan 18 03:31

[vox] Two Bits of Trivia

Last night was the first night of a class on computer repair that I'm taking
through Woodland Adult Education.  It's taught by a Douglas Junior High
School science teacher on the school campus.  I'll start with the item of
possible interest to the Installfest staff.

1) The instructor pointed to a brand new Gateway that the school had just
purchased.  He said that there was no documentation on how to access the
BIOS.  He said that none of the traditional key strokes would get him into
the BIOS, and that he would have to call Gateway to figure out how to do it.

I certainly hope that this is not the trend.

2) The instructor began by talking about how cheaply you can make your own
computer, but then said that you've got to pay  Microsoft.  Then with a lot
of enthusiasm he started talking about this new operating system called
"Linux" which was free and had a lot of applications.  He talked about Open
Office and how it was free.  He seemed suprised when I said that I used
Linux.

Then he told the class that one of the problems with Linux was that it was
hard to tweak.  So I spoke up and mentioned that the Linux Users Group of
Davis had an Installfest once a month, and that therefore there was no
problem tweaking Linux, and that there was a whole lot of expertise here in
Yolo County.  Then without any help from me, the instructor went to the black
board and put up the LUGOD URL.

Bob