2003 Jan 14 12:57

Re: [vox] The Gimp on ABC TV :)

On Tue, Jan 14, 2003 at 08:10:02AM -0800, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> scenes (the computer Marshall was using.)  They also showed a scene where
> they were compiling a program using GCC (Sloan's computer was compiling a
> program that can overtake the CIA satellite system).  AMOF, the whole
> episode was about a Carnivore-like program on a satellite that CIA was
> trying to regain control of, and two bad guys were trying to steal.

I'm fairly certain that the code being compiled was glibc.  Presumably it
takes long enough to build that it's easy to film.  I forget the names of
the objects being built (I paused the TiVo and did some slow motion to see)
but I recall one of them being the db modules included in glibc.

Actually, it was about access to Echelon, not Carnivore.  Echelon is like if
you had several major western governments (US, Canada, UK, Australia) each
running Carnivore on *each other* and then sharing the information between
themselves.  Carnivore is more internet specific and refers to technology
the FBI deploys for monitoring suspects (or anybody).  Both Carnivore and
Echelon are very real; not fictional.  Worry more about Echelon than
Carnivore, though.

http://www.echelonwatch.org/
http://www.cnn.com/2001/TECH/internet/09/07/echelon.report.idg/
http://intelligence.senate.gov/0210hrg/021017/hayden.pdf