2003 Jan 14 02:22

[vox] PC Super Show round-up!

LUGOD managed two booths at the PC Super Show sale & expo that was held
at the Holiday Inn (Northeast) in Sacramento yesterday.

Special thanks to everyone else who participated:

  Richard Burkhart
  Nicole Carlson
  Ryan Castelluci
  Paul Miller
  Rusty Minden
  Mike Simons

Paul was there representing OpenOffice.org, and did a seminar at around noon.
(Unfortunately, it was originally scheduled for 4:15, so I missed it!)

Nicole and I did a talk on Linux and Open Source.  We didn't end up
re-using the notes from our talk to the 4-H kids back in August, but
instead used some /excellent/ slides on Open Source that Paul had gotten
from the OpenOffice.org folks.

I'm not sure how well-attended Paul's talk was.  Our talk wasn't didn't
exactly have a huge crowd, but it did seem to get the attention of people
who were walking by, or around doing other things. :^)  [*]

Between Paul being there representing OpenOffice.org, and our group
there as "just plain ol' LUGOD", we ended up with three large (8') tables
in a row, with four computers (and my Zaurus PDA) set up.

We were in a corner, and also had a smaller table (still 8', I think, but half
as thick) off to the side, and that's where I put out all of our papers and
signs.

The night before the expo, I made sure I had plenty of:

  * Revolution OS flyers

  * LUGOD info. flyers

  * LUGOD membership sign-up sheets
    (I think some were taken; not sure when/if we'll get anything back ;) )

  * Installfest flyers

  * Codeweavers pamphlets
    (since we had Crossover Office with MS Word running on Richard's box)

The other user groups that were there included:

  Sacramento PC Users Group
  (I don't remember seeing any computer there, ironically!)

  Sacramento Amiga Computer Club
  (they had an x86 laptop running Amiga OS!)

  Sierra Macromedia Users Group
  (they had a couple laptops with Flash demos)

I'll have photos of the event up on the website tonight, hopefully.

Enjoy!

-bill!

[*] All in all, the expo wasn't too busy, unfortunately.  Because of this,
    they're not doing another one in Sacramento in February, but will be back
    again in September.  They'll be in Fairfield in February, though.