2003 Jan 10 23:07

Re: [vox] Re: [vox][OT] Google as a verb (was:first bad experience with e-commerce - need advice

On Friday 10 January 2003 08:17 pm, Mark K. Kim wrote:
> Close, but no cigar.  It's not a verb yet! ^_^

It is acording to the jargon file :-P

$ dict google
2 definitions found

- From Jargon File (4.3.0, 30 APR 2001) [jargon]:

  google v. [common] To search the Web using the Google search engine,
     `www.google.com'. Google is highly esteemed among hackers for its
     significance ranking system, which is so uncannily effective that many
     users consider it to have rendered other search engines effectively
     irrelevant. The name `google' has additional flavor for hackers because
     most know that it was copied from a mathematical term for ten to the
     hundredth power, famously first uttered by a mathematician's infant
     child.

- From The Free On-line Dictionary of Computing (09 FEB 02) [foldoc]:

  Google

     <World-Wide Web> The {World-Wide Web} {search engine} that
     indexes the greatest number of web pages - over two billion by
     December 2001 and provides a free service that searches this
     index in less than a second.

     The site's name is apparently derived from "{googol}", but
     note the difference in spelling.

     The "Google" spelling is also used in "The Hitchhikers Guide
     to the Galaxy" by Douglas Adams, in which one of Deep
     Thought's designers asks, "And are you not," said Fook,
     leaning anxiously foward, "a greater analyst than the
     Googleplex Star Thinker in the Seventh Galaxy of Light and
     Ingenuity which can calculate the trajectory of every single
     dust particle throughout a five-week Dangrabad Beta sand
     blizzard?"

     {Home (http://www.google.com/)}.

     (2001-12-28)

> -Mark
>
> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, John McDonnell wrote:
> > It would appear that on Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Mark K. Kim did say:
> > > PS: How long do you suppose it'll take for the word "google" will
> > > appear in a dictionary as a verb?
> >
> > Dictionary.com: http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=google

This entry is from FOLDOC.

- --