January 6: Social gathering
2003 Jan 11 11:55

Re: [vox] CD burning emergency! :^)

Quoting Ted Deppner (ted@psyber.com):

> ...I have knoppix 3.1 here already (which is still the latest I
> think)....

Quoting from http://www.distrowatch.com/interview-knoppix.php :

Q:  Can you explain the release philosophy of Knoppix? A new ISO seems
to appear just about every week or two and they are _all_ called Knoppix
3.1 with a date behind the version number. They are all labelled as beta
versions. What is the reason for the high release frequency and what
will the product be known as, once it reaches a "stable" state?

A:  Last question first: The "final" release will appear when there is a
"final" release of GNU/Linux (which will probably mean the end of the
world). ;-)

In the open source world, development is incredibly fast, and there are
new and significant features, changes or bug fixes every day in almost
every program that is actively maintained either by a single author or a
group of developers. To keep track of this, I do frequent updates of the
installed Debian packages (apt-get update ; apt-get upgrade) and, on
request or if bugs are reported, also working on the additional programs
that are written by me (the "Terminalserver" feature, the hardware
detection scripts, updates to supporting scripts etc). Also, parts of
some add-ons that I'm developing commercially are used for improving the
downloadable version of Knoppix in each release. This may explain why
there are sometimes new releases in daily sequence (especially when a
critical bug is found, which luckily were not many so far).

So, since most of the software is in active development, I feel that it
would be wrong to promise anything, or suggest that the CD is perfect
and error-free. It is "experimental software, use at your own risk.".
And I would like to keep it that way, because I like experimenting with
new things. If you want a guarantee and commercial support, you can
still get that for Knoppix too, choosing a vendor of your choice that
sells you a support contract or a customised version.

As for the static version number: personal laziness. I have not written
a script yet that exchanges version numbers in all READMEs and HTML
files on the CD, so the only thing I change is the build date on the
boot screen. A new major version may be released when something changes
significantly (KDE 3.1, or maybe a new release at the upcoming LinuxTag
2003).