2003 Jan 10 19:22

Re: [vox] first bad experience with e-commerce - need advice

on Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 12:09:04PM -0800, Rick Moen (rick@linuxmafia.com) wrote:
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> > i ordered an out-of-print book from amazon.com.  it was actually sold by
> > a private seller, amazon@totalcampus.com.  amazon advertises books being
> > sold by other companies and individuals in addition to selling its own
> > merchandise.
>
> Since presumably you put your $13 on a credit card, you can get the most
> leverage by just informing your credit company (in writing) that you're
> refusing that charge because the goods never arrived.  Collecting the
> money back from Total Campus then becomes the credit card company's
> problem.

Actually, not even that.  It becomes a chargeback on the merchant's
account, and is deducted from any current balance due from Visa/MC.

But otherwise, yes, a CC is good purchase protection.

Note that *debit* cards *do not* offer this protection.

Peace.