2003 Jan 09 13:31

Re: [vox] Re: [vox-tech] DeCSS

The system over there sounds a little different than the one
here.  He won the criminal case, but the prosecution has the
right to appeal it to a higher court so I don't think that
this is completely gone yet.

At any rate, this whould have the effect of reducing some of
the MPAA's case because the creator of the software didn't do
anything wrong in their juristriction.  The MPAA's lawyers
made the argument that Jon may have broke the law, but this
argument is now false.  I don't really think there was much
of a case anyway because Jon was 15 and incapable of "signing"
any shrink wrap license.

I suspect the MPAA's position is:  the copy of the data on
the disk to RAM to the screen is not allowed because it is
not done with a licensed player.  I think that this position
will fall as long as they are not allow to license movies
the way that software is licensed and as long as there isn't
a key patent that makes it impossible to write software that
takes the encrypted movie to display on the screen.

They are going to eventually lose, it is just a matter of
how many years (possibly decades) it takes for this to work
itself out.

Joel