2003 Jan 09 11:37

[vox] Re: [vox-tech] DeCSS

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 01:05:50AM -0800, Larry Ozeran wrote:
> I read today that the DeCSS trial in Norway found in favor of the 15 year
> old hacker. Effectively, the 3 judge panel ruled that he bought a legal
> copy of software and was trying only to view the DVD he legally purchased
> on a Linux system. Perhaps justice will ultimately prevail and we will be
> able to legally watch a DVD on a Linux system.

I haven't honestly had time to read much about the latest in the DeCSS trial.
What I'm sad to see, though, is when articles start out with:

  "...And so the 15 year old hacker wrote code to copy DVDs..."

Seriously... that shines such a bad light on what he actually was doing.
(As you said above, trying to VIEW legal DVDs...)  >:^(

PS - This sounds more like a topic for vox, than vox-tech, so I moved it
     there. :^)