2003 Jan 07 23:39

Re: [vox] Ponder, ponder... perhaps a silly notion

Re: [vox] Ponder, ponder... perhaps a silly notion

begin Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com>
> Quoting Peter Jay Salzman (p@dirac.org):
>
> But the developers have continued to give back to Debian, including CD
> images for installing Debian 3.0/woody that use their Progeny Graphical
> Installer.  (Supports IA32 and IA64, but not the other 9 supported CPU
> architectures.)  So, that installer is "friendlier" than Libranet's,
> but results in the same subsequent disadvantages listed for Knoppix.
>
> > also, /usr/src could be useful if you keep your .config's from kernel
> > compiles.
>
> Reminds me:  If you haven't yet heard Torvalds's rant for (basically)
> leaving /usr/src alone and doing kernels elsewhere, I've preserved it here:
> http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/usr-src-linux-symlink

holy smokes!  rant is right!   and i've been bitten by the incompatible
header file thing when hand compiling kernel modules.  my answer was to
force the issue with flags like --nostdinc and -I.

however, linus himself was part of the problem by *insisting* on having
the kernel untar into ./linux rather than ./linux-x.y.z.

now that the kernels have been untaring into linux-x.y.z, there's no
reason to mess with /usr/src/linux/ since hand compiled kernels will be
in /usr/src/linux-x.y.z.   in fact, maybe he changed the tar-up policy
specifically because nobody listened to him about not messing with
/usr/src/linux.

but then again, i kind of like the idea of doing it in home, or perhaps
/usr/local/src/linux/ since i think using /usr/src might be a violation
of LHS anyhow..

interesting read!

pete