2003 Jan 07 23:36

Re: [vox] Ponder, ponder... perhaps a silly notion

Re: [vox] Ponder, ponder... perhaps a silly notion

> rick moen said some good things about libranet.  so did rusty.  it's
> based on debian, so it has debian's strengths while fixing some of its
> weaknesses too (like the installation process).

One of the things I think is _really_ neat is to boot a Knoppix CD,
decide if you like it or not, then at your option run the beta-level
"knx-install" to make a 2-point-something GB partition on your hard
drive and then copy all of Knoppix to that partition as a regular,
bootable, Debian-compatible desktop system.

Instructions:  http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/debian-knoppix

Pro Knoppix:   Dead-simple to install.  Honest.  Run knx-install.  Boot.
               Change default KDE language from German to English.  Done.
Anti Knoppix:  Still no centralised admin tools or popular proprietary
               software (Realplayer, Macromedia Flash), by default
Pro Libranet:  Has its own ncurses-based installer that's pretty easy
               for Debian.  Includes the aforementioned tools & software.
Anti Libranet: Unless you buy the boxed set, or get the 2.0beta images
               from Peter, the only downloadable copy is kinda old.

> similarly, there's something called progeny, but i think it's defunct
> for awhile.

But the developers have continued to give back to Debian, including CD
images for installing Debian 3.0/woody that use their Progeny Graphical
Installer.  (Supports IA32 and IA64, but not the other 9 supported CPU
architectures.)  So, that installer is "friendlier" than Libranet's,
but results in the same subsequent disadvantages listed for Knoppix.

> also, /usr/src could be useful if you keep your .config's from kernel
> compiles.

Reminds me:  If you haven't yet heard Torvalds's rant for (basically)
leaving /usr/src alone and doing kernels elsewhere, I've preserved it here:
http://linuxmafia.com/~rick/linux-info/usr-src-linux-symlink

--
Cheers,                                      "My file system's got no nodes!"
Rick Moen                                    "How does it shell?"