2003 Jan 06 22:23

Re: [vox] expectation of privacy on an open mailing list?

Re: [vox] expectation of privacy on an open mailing list?

According to copyright law, as soon as something is put down in tangible form -- written on paper or saved to an electronic file such as an e-mail -- then it is automatically copyrighted. This very e-mail that I am writing right now is, in fact, protected by copyright law. The only way that something is not copyrighted is if the creator of a work explicitly states that the work is to be placed in the public domain.

What probably happened with your subscriber is that he or she sent a message from a work account. Many companies require that sort of disclaimer in every e-mail sent from a company account (I see one every time I get an e-mail from my mother). Strange but true.