2003 Jan 06 21:47

[vox] expectation of privacy on an open mailing list?

[vox] expectation of privacy on an open mailing list?

Here's one for the aspiring lawyers out there:

I've been monitoring a list I've subscribed to - and anyone can subscribe
- when I found this included in some of the e-mails posted to the list:

"
This electronic mail transmission contains confidential and/or
privileged
information intended only for the person(s) named.  Any use,
distribution,
copying or disclosure by another person is strictly prohibited.
"
This poses an interesting question.  Can someone forward information which
may be of interest to someone else with such a tag from an openly
"subscribeable" list?  Is the author assuming an ability to copyright that
doesn't exist?

-Lorie

--
Lorie Obal