Re: [vox] Research Firm: Microsoft Will Use Linux by 2004

On Friday 13 December 2002 03:17 pm, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 02:06:03PM -0800, Rod Roark (rod@sunsetsystems.com) wrote:
> > On Tuesday 10 December 2002 01:03 pm, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> > > ps- if you want to see something really pathetic, turn off cookies
> > > if they aren't off already and go to http://www.metagroup.com.  heh.
> > > i guess the economic slowdown hasn't touched these people yet.
> > > imagine that, flat out REFUSING to provide any content at all unless
> > > cookies are enabled.   i can see a warning...  but to simply deny
> > > all access to their website?   sheesh!
> >
> > Some browsers (Mozilla for sure) will let you limit the
> > lifetime of a cookie to the duration of the current session.
> > That's probably the best setting for most of us.  In which
> > case you should also exit and restart the browser between
> > sittings.
>
> My understanding is that this is a global setting.  To be useful it
> needs to be configurable on a per-site basis.  Or am I missing
> something?

Right, it's global in Mozilla.  It would certainly be better
on a per-site arrangement, but I don't know of any sites
where you really *need* persistent cookies.  If there are
some, you can temporarily change the global setting.

-- Rod
   http://www.sunsetsystems.com/