Re: [vox] Drivers

On Tuesday, December 10, 2002, at 09:43  PM, Gt wrote:

> Would anyone care to clue me in on what i would do for
> Drivers for 2 Epson printers, a digital camera, External ZIP
> 250, a QPS disc burner and an off brand USB hub....in the
> event that i was able to ever get Linux (or Darwin) and GIMP
> running on a MAC?
>     That hadn't yet occurred to me. Seems to me there was
> some talk about drivers a while back, but it didn't set off
> my alarum at the time.
>
>     'Twould be nice to hear from Harry Souder on the
> subject, since he is reputed to run MAC boxes with Linux &
> such.

Actually, I think you got that idea from me - I had Harry on my mind at
that point (we were working out rides :) )

It's Henry House I meant to be speaking of.

Check the HOWTOs at www.tldp.org for information on drivers. For digital
cameras: in particular, try to get devices that use USB Mass Storage.
Avoid Camedia, because they send broken USB packets, and require kernel
source patches to make them run (the popular hack has the effect of
breaking all USB Mass Storage devices that send the *properly* formed
packets). You should have no problems getting drivers for the Epson
printers and Zip drives, and probably the disc burner as well.

Last I checked, tho', USB wasn't the most reliable portion of the Linux
source code... hopefully that's changed since last I looked (prolly 9
mos. ago or something).

-Micah