Re: [vox] Linux on Pentium 4

Quoting Gt (almo-st.george@midtown.net):

> As a rank beginner, i am thinking along the lines of running my nice
> new "knoppix 3.1" OS on a nice new box with a Pentium 4 processor and
> "hyper-threading Technology" (Intel 845PEBT2 motherboard), the big
> idea being to make use of GIMP in my digital imagery endeavors.

The i845G and i845GL integrated video/motherboard chipsets are the
latest in that model series, replacing the i810/i815 desktop chipset
(which used a i752 graphics core) and a mobile-computing variant called
i830.  During development, the i845G/i845GL series was dubbed
"Brookdale-G".

Near as I can tell, the only difference between the i845G and i845GL is
that the latter can't support the higher 533 MHz front-side bus speed,
nor AGP.  That's actually (mildly) good news for you, because it
simplifies the XFree86 support issue.  (Hang in there; I'll be getting
to the point shortly!)

Like the i810, i815, and i830 series before it, the i845 series omits
dedicated video memory, and instead borrows from system RAM (slightly
impairing memory bandwidth and reducing free RAM).  On the bright side,
the design reduces hardware costs.

As with the i810/i815 series, you'll undoubtedly need /dev/agpgart
kernel support.  I noticed an agpgart kernel patch mentioned here:
http://www.jongans.com/gateway1450.html  (The classic symptom of lacking
AGPgart support for i810 and derived chipsets is that you can't use
video modes that require more than 1 MB video memory.)

This page mentions i845G support being added to the XFree86 i8x0 CVS
(prerelease) driver, around May, which means that won't emerge as a
precompiled offering until the next XFree86 release:
http://xfree86.desiato.de/xfree86/cvs/changes.html

But there's another option:  Intel advises
(http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/intel845g/linux.htm) that you
should use the "vesa" SVGA driver while waiting for the next XFree86
release.  I.e., change the Drivers line to say:

   Driver "vesa"

_Anyhow_, my point is that it's a nice little inexpensive video chipset,
but is new enough that you might have some Linux install/config problems.
You ever heard the old computer-industry joke about how you tell who the
pioneers are?  From the arrows sticking out of their backs.  ;->

Nonetheless, it's possible that Knoppix or some other distribution
already has this stuff under control:  You might get a lot of mileage
out of test-booting the vendor's demo machine with a Knoppix CD to see
how well it does.

--
Cheers,                    Higgledy-Piggledy / Kibo Ubiquitous,
Rick Moen                  Greps for his name in the / Happynet spool.