Re: [vox] Linux on Pentium 4

On Saturday, December 7, 2002, at 10:13  PM, Gt wrote:

> Greetings
>     As a rank beginner, i am thinking along the lines of
> running my nice new "knoppix 3.1" OS on a nice new box with
> a Pentium 4 processor and "hyper-threading Technology"
> (Intel 845PEBT2 motherboard), the big idea being to make use
> of GIMP in my digital imagery endeavors. I'm currently
> generating 40 mb+ pic files, and my IMAC dawdles
> excessively. Then there is the feeling that if i buy a new
> dual processor MAC G4 and a full version of PhotoShop for
> OSX, i will have been had.
>
>     Wot think? any advise would be appreciated. My thanks to
> Micah Cowan, but i have given up on the idea of running
> Linux on my Mac.

Actually, if this was the conversation I'm thinking of, didn't I
recommend considering GNU/Darwin for your Mac?

You wouldn't need nearly the memory you'd need for OSX, and could still
keep OS9 (or whatever) on another partition (or something). GIMP has
been ported to MOSX/XFree86, so I doubt you'd have trouble getting it to
run on Aqua-less Darwin.

But hey, if you've got a Pentium 4 handy, and'd rather use that, that's
cool too.

GIMP way rocks

-Micah