Re: [Fwd: Re: [vox] OT "auto-out-of-office" replies == get robbed ?]

Re: [Fwd: Re: [vox] OT "auto-out-of-office" replies == get robbed ?]

[snip]
> NBLUG got so sick of your constant flaming that they kicked you off
> their mailing list.  if i were a smarter person, i would've done that
> the day you flamed rod.  or matt roper.  or jeff newmiller.  or bill.
> you've managed to flame some of the nicest people i know.
>
> congrats.  you've now been kicked off of two LUG mailing lists that i
> know of.  lord knows how many others.

For the record: We'd put Rick on the "deny" list so that he couldn't post,
but left him the option of reading if he wished.  Sometime later we cleaned
him out of the deny list.  Technically it's possible for him to join the
NBLUG talk list again and respond to people.  (but if he joins and flames
he'll be denied, removed or always moderated pretty quickly) I think Rick
mostly just wanted to be on our annouce list anyways, though.

It definitely was for flaming.

We try to make talk@nblug.org a place where users (*especially* the
beginners who know very little) can ask questions and get helped.  A correct
response is certainly important, but even more important is that the
questions the next time.  An incorrect or misleading response can always be
corrected or clarified (politely) in follow-ups.  I think if we had separate
mailing lists for newbies and more deeply technical stuff, the newbie list
would have a slightly stricter "no flaming" policy and the tech list would
be looser with flaming still discouraged.  (I figure experienced users have
probably been on the net long enough to develop at least a little bit of a
thick skin)
--
Eric Eisenhart
NBLUG Co-Founder & President Pro Tempore for Life