Re: [vox] PGP source code now opened...

heh.  yeah, i heard about this.  :)  i was really happy about it, until
i started to mull it over.

the releasing of the PGP code is about as important as the open group
releasing motiff under an "almost free" license.  as if anyone who has
been using lesstif, gtk, fltk, tk or qt will drop everything and use
motiff for their applications now.  yeah, right.  ;)

the open group had their chance.  they were king of the hill.  they were
the microsoft of widget sets.  they didn't jump on the open source
bandwagon soon enough (well, frankly, they only have one foot on the
wagon.  the other is dragging in the mud).   they blew it.

as did phil.

i read an interview with phil zimmerman a few days ago, i wish i can
remember the URL.  he was asked why the new release of PGP is important,
considering the world has moved on to GPG.

his reply was that "in his opinion, PGP is easier to use".

i don't know if that's true, if you get past the concepts, GPG isn't
that difficult, but if it is, i'm guessing we'll see a GNU update for
GPG.

pete

begin R. Douglas Barbieri <doug@dooglio.net>