2002 Nov 27 20:31

Re: SquirrelMail (was Re: [vox] Mean to Linux... Mean to OpenSource... :

Re: SquirrelMail (was Re: [vox] Mean to Linux... Mean to OpenSource... :-/)

[chopped] (ME ranting about how I/he used SM to add a layer of security
when checking mail out and about)

Joel Baumert said:
> That was how I was using SM... I wanted to lock down all accesses from
> the outside to telnet and ssh to specific static Internet addresses,
> but I still wanted to be able to check mail remotely when I was out of
> town.  SM seemed like a perfect fit, except in this case I think that it
> hurt my security instead of helped it.
>
> I should have probably done what you did and .htaccess'd it so SSL was
> protecting me.  I should probably have installed squirrel mail in an
> alternate directory so it would be a bit harder to find...

The only reason I added that extra layer of security is, at the time, many
holes were being found in php based server apps and projects. Based on the
track record of php apps and php, I knew it was likely for SM to have
"issues." :-/

-ME