2002 Nov 27 17:18

Re: SquirrelMail (was Re: [vox] Mean to Linux... Mean to OpenSource... :

Re: SquirrelMail (was Re: [vox] Mean to Linux... Mean to OpenSource... :-/)

[...]
> SM works with php through a web server. If you dont have a web server
> running, then SM is not much use on your server.
>
> SM requires some sort of MTA/delivery system.
>
> SM can use ldap to get mail.
>
> If you set up your own mail server and have your own web server and your
> own imap server, you can add SM into the mix too.
>
> (For the most part, this is not a mail client that you "run" in the
> conventional sence like mutt or pine or netscape mail. This is a service.)
>
> -ME
[...]

That was how I was using SM... I wanted to lock down all accesses from
the outside to telnet and ssh to specific static Internet addresses,
but I still wanted to be able to check mail remotely when I was out of
town.  SM seemed like a perfect fit, except in this case I think that
it hurt my security instead of helped it.

I should have probably done what you did and .htaccess'd it so SSL
was protecting me.  I should probably have installed squirrel mail
in an alternate directory so it would be a bit harder to find...

Joel