2002 Nov 27 15:56

Re: [vox] Mean to Linux... Mean to OpenSource... :-/

Re: [vox] Mean to Linux... Mean to OpenSource... :-/

At the time it looked like they used this bug in
SquirrelMail 1.2.7 to gain access to the account
as the apache user.  They then installed some
IRC botish software and a port redirector on the
box.  I isolated a root kit that they had tried,
but it doesn't look like they were successful in
getting more than apache rights.

http://www.iss.net/security_center/static/10145.php

I have tried to update the box fresh, but have
run into some problems... iptables which someone
on vox helped me with.  My current problem is
getting sendmail working again.  I am hosting
multiple domains and the setup that I was using
for sendmail is not working.

I was having two problems.  First, sendmail was
listening on 127.0.0.1 instead of an external
interface.  I was able to solve that problem, but
I am still having a problem with sendmail rejecting
outside mail.

Has anyone seen this before?  I saw something on a
newsgroup that suggested setting up aliases, but I
didn't have to do that in the past.  Its probably
something simple that I'm missing.  I have been
able to get away with linux-conf in the past for
setting up sendmail...

Joel

[-- Attachment #1 --]
[-- Type: text/plain, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 0.5K --]

The original message was received at Sun, 24 Nov 2002 04:09:04 -0800
from jbaumert@localhost

kender@geeksource.net
    (reason: 550 5.7.1 <kender@geeksource.net>... Relaying denied)

... while talking to mail.geeksource.net.:
>>> RCPT To:<kender@geeksource.net>
<<< 550 5.7.1 <kender@geeksource.net>... Relaying denied
550 5.1.1 kender@geeksource.net... User unknown

[-- Attachment #2 --]
[-- Type: message/delivery-status, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 0.3K --]

Reporting-MTG: dns; demo.zweng.com
Arrival-Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 04:09:04 -0800

Final-Recipient: RFC822; kender@geeksource.net
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; mail.geeksource.net
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 5.7.1 <kender@geeksource.net>... Relaying denied
Last-Attempt-Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 04:09:04 -0800

[-- Attachment #3 --]
[-- Type: message/rfc822, Encoding: 7bit, Size: 0.5K --]