2002 Nov 20 09:27

[vox] Open Source on Marketplace (PRI radio show)

[vox] Open Source on Marketplace (PRI radio show)

I was listening to Marketplace (which plays on KXJZ at 6:30pm weekdays;
http://www.marketplace.org/ ) and at one point they were talking about an
upcoming PBS show on Benjamin Franklin.  They briefly spoke with one
Mr. Walter Isaacson, chairman and CEO of CNN [*], as he also happens to
be writing a book on Franklin.

At one point, Isaacson mentioned that Franklin never sought any patents on
what he invented.  To my surprise [**], Marketplace's host, David Brancaccio,
pointed out the similarity between that and the Open Source movement.
Isaacson responded "Yes!", and stated that if Franklin were alive today,
he'd probably be very much part of that movement. :^)

Pretty neat. :^)

-bill!

[*] I believe.  He's _something_ at CNN.  Best I can find Google'ing is that
    he _was_ fairly recently.

[**] Maybe I'm thinking like it's 1999, and nobody knows what
     Lie-nicks is. ;^)  I guess it's hard to get used to.
     We, the Open Source community, really _are_ famous and important and
     note-worthy.  Woo-hoo!