2002 Nov 15 13:59

Re: [vox] code sleuths needed - cheating suspected

Re: [vox] code sleuths needed - cheating suspected

I disagree,  you can force students to do what you want, pass/fail or not.
You control their lives,  you can have them write 'Hello world' or prove the
Infinitude of Primes,  you can make it easy or hard.

You can stand up in front of the class and say 'insufficient comments will
be treated the same as no comments'.   there, that was easy...

Of course the glassy eyed students still won't get it and that's to be
expected,  programming is hard, really, it is..

Otherwise you should treat the assignment like a black box and not care if
the students used the same code or got the source from freshmeat.  (which is
in effect what you are doing by not instilling good programming practices at
this level).

ok, I just fired the contractor that thought his code didn't need commenting
and was offended when I said that it had to be done.  I don't like doing
that because now I have to write the code he was supposed to write over the
past 3 weeks.   My fault, there were red flags all over the place.

New Rule #1: fire people who say that they comment the code after it's
debugged.  This usually means that they don't know how to do the assignment.

Oh yeah,  I take commenting very serious...

bobm

Peter:  you doing anything with that 68hc11?  There's supposed to be a jvm
for it now..