2002 Nov 15 10:51

Re: [vox] code sleuths needed - cheating suspected

Re: [vox] code sleuths needed - cheating suspected

I was never a grader, but I did at times act as a consultant in our CS labs,
so I may not be that much of an expert here.  My opinion is that these are
copies of each other.  Now whether they're direct copies, or just the result
of two people helping each other?  My opinion is they are direct copies.

First of all, there are many similarities in style.  Secondly, the changes
between the two files are cosmetic, and look dilberate.  I took a  look
using sdiff and it looked weird.  It looked like lines were added, and lines
were changed, but only in a cosmetic fashion.  It looked like whoever did
this wanted a diff to show everything different.  If both students were new
at C programming, then it would explain a bunch, but judging from the
programs, they do not look to be that new at this.  Things like commenting,
I mean why use two different styles with the same comments, it doesn't make
much sense to me, unless you're trying to make them seem different.  I may
be wrong on this, but I suspect they're copies of each other changed in a
cosmetic fashion to fool the grader.  Again, Don is right, you have to
consider the situation, and compare both students past work to this and see
if a better conclusion can be reached.  However speaking of my own expertise
of reading and writing more C than I can remember(I have been coding C for
10 years now) and plaugurizing, er cut/paste(Hey, that block looks neat, I
can yank and put and adapt it to fix my current issue) another countless
number of lines, it looks to me like they're direct copies that have been
adapted.  If I had to quantify how sure I was, Id say Im 70% sure.

Mike