2002 Nov 04 10:37

[vox] [fwd] Linux Movies Meeting Nov 7 Berkeley 7pm

-bill!

----- Forwarded message from Robin Rowe <rower@MovieEditor.com> -----

Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 01:22:05 -0800
From: "Robin Rowe" <rower@MovieEditor.com>
Subject: [svlug] Linux Movies Meeting Nov 7 Berkeley 7pm
To: <svlug@lists.svlug.org>

LINUX MOVIES GROUP MEETING

NOTE NEW DATE AND SPECIAL LOCATION! First Thursday. The LMG moves to the
first Thursday of the month starting this month.

Thursday, November 7, 2002 (first Thursday)
7-9pm (Arriving at 8pm is ok for those working late.)
Free

In a special presentation for the Linux Movies Group meeting for November,
Drew Perttula will demonstrate his new open source video editing suite based
on non-monolithic, flexible tools and transparent data formats. This
presentation is at a special secret location in Berkeley, not far from the
main BART station at Shattuck and University.  To RSVP and receive
directions contact Drew Perttula <drewp@bigasterisk.com>.

Frustrated by available Linux DV video editing tools, Drew began work on his
editor in September 2002. By late October he was transcribing and logging
captured DV footage into XML format. Soon after that, the timeline-style
editor was running, and he was dragging thumbnails from footage index pages
displayed in Mozilla right into the timeline. The editor has the beginnings
of an effects plug-in system that currently handles the mixing of audio
tracks. “I won't stand for any segfaults or other data-losing behavior”,
says Drew. “And most of all, I need it ready by yesterday for an industrial
video I've been hired to do”. At Thursday's meeting, Drew will be demo-ing
the editor itself and discussing the tools used, the components built, and
where he plans to go with it next.

For further information on Drew’s DV editor see
http://bigasterisk.com/editor for screenshots, samples of the XML formats,
use cases, and other notes made during development.

Cheers,

Robin