2002 Nov 03 09:30

Re: [vox] microsoft ruling

To offset all of the thoughts about justice denied, I thought I'd share
with you a posting I found on comp.os.linux.misc

The message id is 3DC3E127.C0E8F14E@open4success.com
(plug it into a google advanced search to find it)

among other things this message says:

* By accepting the settlement Microsoft cannot appeal the the
  conclusions of law or the findings of fact.

* The remedy only covers damage already done, but the ruling of law
  covers future behavior, which means we can drag MS back to court
  over other pieces of its behavior.

* "a second trial showing that Microsoft has violated has taken actions
  which violate the findings of law could be initiated within weeks, and
  in any jurisdiction, and very likely by the dissenting states, who
  will probably NOT through[sic] in with the DOJ to consolidate the
  cases."

I'm not sure what the poster's legal credentials are, but I asked on
the newsgroup, and hopefully he'll answer.