2002 Oct 24 11:26

Re: [vox] How would you spend $500 on a new box?

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 09:46:31AM -0700, andy wergedal wrote:
> I agree that Dell makes good machines and that building my
> own costs more time than money.
>
> I really like getting a rescue disk with a new machine.
>
> What about the microtel offerings from walmart?

I have looked at a few of these no-name or non-main-stream brand of
computers as sold as CostCo, WalMart, etc. and have never found any of
them to be reliable. I have known people who purchased these machines
and had serious problems with them. I only know a few people who have
purchased them and actually kept them. Frequently, they are inexpensive
because they are made with the cheapest parts that can be found.
Sometimes the parts wont even perform as they state! (A 32X drive that
only does 8X, a CPU stated to be 1000MHz but due to overheating the CPU
speed is stepped down to 800MHz, a power supply that can just *barely*
support the devices currently included where addition of another device
cause things to get flakey or break or lead to data corruption on HD.

> I was thinking that I would by a lindows ($199.00) and a xp
> ($299.00) then I would have both.

I wanted to make sure that you know I was joking about the psychotherapy
comment, because (as stated prior posts) I am forced to use windows too.
:-/

So, you are are	required to buy OS and computer for $700? Most
new machines come with OEM copies of Windows and many are shipping with
XP.

So the cost mentioned includes the price of the OS too?

[chopped previous message discussion]