January 6: Social gathering
2002 Oct 24 09:47

Re: [vox] How would you spend $500 on a new box?

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 07:42:49AM -0700, andy wergedal wrote:
> One of my clients is going to give me $500-700 dollars for
> a new box. It has to run XP for their software, but
> anything else goes.
>
> How would you spend the money?

I would apply the money for psychotherapy, since they have "running
Windows XP" and a requirement.  ;-)

Seriously, I stopped building PCs a long time ago. I have been buying
Dell machines as I need them (at work and in my private life/business.)
They now have "cheap PC" that fit this price range, and you can get a 3
year warrantee.

I looked around at 1U rack mountable units, and price/service/warantee
and endedup going with a PowerEdge 350 (cheapest of the Dell 1U units)
for about $1200 - and this included 3 years onsite parts and labor. With
it in San Diego, that is a nice service.

Compaq did make (dunno if they still do) good servers, but horrible
desktop machines.

Dell makes "Good" Desktop machine (I'd use them over most others) and
"OK" Servers. The OptiPlex are what I have used for Desktop machine, I
have not used the Dimension series. Their Latitude notebooks are quite
rugged, but dont have the features for the game-playing home user.

I would not touch a GateWay as a desktop machine, and have had no
experience with any servers (assuming they even make such things.) I see
Gateway as an Old Packard Bell shifted to mail-order. (Filling a niche.)

The amount of money that can be made in building your own PC is lost and
has been for a while unless you go with the cheapest parts and then you
get what you pay for (most of the time) and your reputation goes with
the customer who buys the stuff.

There is a great deal of satisfaction in building your own machine, but
the amount of work makes it less than ideal for profit in selling such
machines to others. (Add up the number of hours spent organizing the
parts for delivery, making the purchases and the research for it and
divide that into yor profit. Then look at that dollar/hour rate and
realize that is a computation of the value of your applied technical
abilities. :-( Kind of depressing when you know you can get so much more
in the RealWorld(TM).

It can take a lot of time to get experience with the parts out there and
know the difference between a good value and what is plain "cheap" and
fragile.

If you deal in volume, you actually can make a living in it. The greater
the volume, generally, the greater the margin for profit.

Are you going to build somethig or spec it out?

-ME