2002 Oct 23 22:06

Re: [vox] Neither a rocker nor a mocker

On Wed, 2002-10-23 at 13:58, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:

> > In other parts of the world, such as, oh, logic classes and technical
> > user groups, it's understood that the merits of assertions of fact can
> > and should be debated independently of the speakers' own _personal_
> > merits.
>
> while this is true, LUGOD is not a logic or math class.  i don't even
> consider us to be a pure technical group either.

Heh. Thanks, Peter.  I was wondering which logic classes or technical
newsgroups Rick had been monitoring.  'Cause I haven't seen that level
of maturity in any of them.

> btw, in the grad class on formal logic that i took, the professor didn't
> make a distinction between mocking a person or a person's argument.
> mocking was just something he didn't do.

Just out of curiosity, Peter, which logic class did you take?  And who
was the instructor?  My degree is in philosophy from UC Davis, and one
of my areas of emphasis was symbolic logic.

--
Slainte,
Richard S. Crawford

MSN:  underpope@hotmail.com