2002 Oct 21 21:42

Re: [vox] One more test...I promise!

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 11:42:06AM -0700, Mark K. Kim wrote:
>    1 It can't read HTML messages.

HTML is a blight, especially for a text mode system.  HTML's markup is
completely lost on a text only system.  Supporting it isn't really an
option, but as someone else mentioned, you can hook in lynx.

I consider HTML emails to be in a language I can't understand, just like
german, spanish, etc... even if I go to the trouble of translating it,
it'll just be poor grammer and hard to follow (because of the translator,
not slamming the natives).  Unfortunately, no one speaks HTML natively, so
I am slamming HTML speakers.

>    2 It can't handle sudden disconnections gracefully.

Haven't noticed this... but this is probably more the editor rather than
the MUA, ie a PICO to VIM comparison more than a PINE to MUTT comparison.
Again, this should be highly configurable under vim.

As already mentioned, screen works nicely for poorly connected sessions.

>    3 It can't read news messages.

Why would you it want to?  This isn't emacs.  :)  Use trn.  It's the mutt
of news readers.

>    4 I still haven't figured out how to setup multiple "From"s,
>      short of changing the header manually every time I want
>      different "From" line, but that's probably just me.

Easy...

# examples, not what I really use...
folder-hook .  my_hdr From: Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com>
folder-hook .  my_hdr Reply-To: Ted Deppner <ted@psyber.com>
folder-hook =personal my_hdr From: Ted Deppner <ted+personal@psyber.com>
folder-hook =personal my_hdr Reply-To: Ted Deppner <ted+personal@psyber.com>

In the =personal folder, mails sent from there have a different From and
Reply-To.  I'm sure there's a way to manage multiple "froms", but I don't
know it... most of my mail tends to be project or task based, so I just
work from the appropriate mail folder.  (I've a makefile that manages my
folders, and builds a .muttrc-include file for me.)

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/