2002 Oct 22 00:57

Re: [vox] One more test...I promise!

Since you guys brought it up...

I'm currently using Mutt to read messages, but use Pine to write messages.
I find Mutt's threading, color-hiliting, and message marking (+, T, O,...)
very useful, but I find it lacking in a few areas:

   1 It can't read HTML messages.
   2 It can't handle sudden disconnections gracefully.
   3 It can't read news messages.
   4 I still haven't figured out how to setup multiple "From"s,
     short of changing the header manually every time I want
     different "From" line, but that's probably just me.

1. Mutt can't read HTML messages.

Instad of telling people to conform to your view of abolishing HTML in
e-mail, why not support HTML reading in the mail reader?  Facts are facts
- it ain't going away.  Even just spawning an external viewer would be
better than not having any support at all.

And before you talk about any "patches", know that I'm not gonna take up
any precious disk quota by comping mutt in my home directory.  I'd be
happy to ask Sonic.net to apply the patch globally if you know of any
patches, though, but then I'm at the mercy of Sonic.net.  Furthermore,
just the fact that HTML isn't supported by default is simply annoying;
there's something about being able to sit at a random computer, find that
a program exists, and know that it has certain capabilities.  With
patches, that simple yet elegant pleasure disappears.  Furthermore,
patches must keep up with new releases of the program or you may not be
able to apply the patch; otherwise you have to choose either to keep up
with the latest release of the program without the patch or stay behind
until the patches are updated.  Of course, you can fix the patch yourself;
but not everyone can do that for various reasons, whether that be the
skills, time, or knowledge of the program sources.

2. Can't handle sudden disconnections.

If you're in the middle of composing a message and you get disconnected,
it's a pimple-on-the-butt to find your lost message in /tmp and do the
whole recovery manually.  As much as I like to compose mail by Vim, I'd
like some way to automatically recover from sudden disconnections.  PINE
does this so well.

No matter what "work-around" you may come up with (ie, `screen`, use
~/tmp, etc.), it doesn't change the fact that Mutt's inability to recover
automatically from sudden disconnections is a shortcoming of Mutt.

3. It can't read news messages.

I don't care too much about this, except the best text news reader I've
seen so far is PINE.  Since I use PINE for news, might as well use it for
mail, too.  The integration between mail and news, though however un-unix
the concept might be (emacs is also un-unix, but that's for another
discussion), makes cross-posting / reply-to-author /
forward-from-news-to-mailinglist / etc., much simpler.

4. - if someone wants to help me with this, it'd make me very happy :)

Eh hem.

-Mark

--
Mark K. Kim