2002 Oct 19 18:01

Re: [vox] Amusing yourself when making a new kernel...

on Fri, Oct 18, 2002, dugan@passwall.com (dugan@passwall.com) wrote:

> While working on a 2.4.x series kernel (setting options) I note the
> following amusing point:
> Network device support --->
>  Ethertap network tab (OBSELETE) (NEW)
>
> heh heh heh....
>
> Now *that* is a fast product cycle... It is "OBSELETE" before it is
> "NEW"!

"NEW" AFAIK is affixed to kernel options which weren't present in the
prior version of your config file.  The "OBSOLTETE" designation is
specified by kernel hacker(s) within the configuration scripts
themselves.

Depending on how frequently you build kernels, it's possible for
something to be both "NEW" and "OBSOLETE" at the same time.

This is partial smoke blowing, anyone with firmer understanding is
welcome to comment.

Peace.

   Übersoft:  If We're Not Rich, You're Not Gullible.
     http://www.ubersoft.net/