2002 Oct 19 18:01

Re: [vox] free computers

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 11:23:30AM -0700, joseph e arruda wrote:

> Actually I hate people in general.  I am a pretty goddamn anti-social
> guy.  I don't have issues.  I have an anthology.
>
> Most people annoy the crap out of me, because I sincerely think they are
> lemmings (and you can be a bumpkin hick or a snotty ivy-leaguer as far as
> that goes), and that is actually about as elitist as it gets.

I can definitely relate. Actually, AFAICT, the percentage of lemmings
seems to be roughly the same among "bumpkin hicks" as "ivy-leaguers";
namely, somewhere in the upper 90%.

OTOH, I strongly suspect that the Dilbert Principle is quite correct,
that every single person on this planet is an idiot, in at *least*
some aspects. I have to admit it for myself: while I consider myself
to have expertise in various technical fields, I am a moron on certain
other practical matters that are quite trivial for many other
people...

Also, as far as "lemmings" go, it seems to me that in at least a few
areas, everyone is one of these, too: everyone blindly follows what
they've been told in at least one or two areas, because they haven't
the interest or time to verify it more precisely. So, my definition in
the top paragraph is really based on the percentage of topics in which
one is a lemming: I think that the 90% figure if one is a "lemming"
who is a "lemming" in 80-100% of their opinions.

One reason Rush Limbaugh bothers me, even though, as a conservative, I
probably agree with more than half of what he says, is the pervasive
"ditto-head" culture he promotes. "Ditto-head" is clearly a synonym
for "lemming"...

(rant off...)

> One of the reasons VA was so wonderful for the first 3 years was the
> wealth of intelligent people and the dearth of morons.

Here too, I can relate. Transmeta had a wealth of highly intelligent
people*. I can tell you one thing: it doesn't happen by accident; it
happens with very, very careful and time-consuming interview processes.

*(Not in all areas: we naturally had a marketting department ;) )

-Micah