2002 Oct 19 12:09

Reply-to munging (was Re: [vox] free computers)

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 09:29:54AM -0700, Marc Hasbrouck wrote:
> Well seeing as how email addresses of senders are
> repeated in the body of the message, a cut and paste
> can take care of sending an email privately. That
> works for me as the other lists I'm on do the same
> munging.

Nice thing with Mutt is when I go to hit [R]eply,
it asks 'Reply to: vox@lists.lugod.org? [Y/n]"

If I say [N]o, it will then ask  'Reply to: <SENDER'S ADDRESS>?'

...making private replies pretty easy.

But since 99.999% of the time I'm replying to the list, and have gotten
so used to hitting [R]eply (vs. [G]roup Reply or list reply or whatever;
since mail clients I've used in the past weren't as sophisticated),
so it's actually pretty convenient.

But, I totally agree with Pete.  It's really a choice thing (I believe
the page traditionally pointed out to explain "Reply-To Munging Bad"
has a sister page explaining "Reply-To Munging Good" ;^) )