2002 Oct 18 01:35

Re: [vox] GPL and LGPL license quiz

On Thu, Oct 17, 2002 at 10:54:24PM -0700, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting Ryan (ryan+lugod@cal.net):
>
> > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#DistributeWithSourceOnInternet
> >
> > That suprised me...
>
> It _should_ surprise you.  It's the "Pay no attention to the GPL's actual
> wording; here's the way we'd prefer you to read it this week" quiz item.

Well, it's *sorta* true. It's only false when the object code is
itself distributed via FTP (and not by any other means)... which is
how most people do it in practice (when it's noncommercial).

(To the interested: cf. last sentence of #3 in the GPL).

I musta totally been smoking something when I read the GPL so long
ago... I coulda sworn I read something about making source available
over FTP, etc. was perfectly fine, provided that the provider made
sure that the URL was valid for at least 3 years... but not even
version 1.0 said that...

...Oh *here* it is: damn, I was thinking of the FDL. And it's one
year, not three. *sigh*.

-Micah