2002 Oct 16 22:36

Re: [vox] Dewie the e-Turtle

On Wednesday 16 October 2002 01:16 pm, Nicole the Wonder Nerd wrote:
> In this month's Crypto-gram.  Bruce Schneier's comment:
> >This is about as pathetic as you can get.  The Federal Trade Commission
> >has decided that computer security needs a mascot, kind of like Smokey
> >the Bear.  So we now have Dewey the Turtle, who's here to promote
> >secure computing for everyone.  "When you see the ping of death, duck
> >and cover."

Heh, I was at an apartment complex setting up some wireless equipment. I
noticed instructions for dealing with nukes posted on a fire extinguisher.

"Duck and cover, or cover your head with a newspaper"
"Comfort the dieing"
"Seperate the dead to prevent infection"

Cracked me up. ESPECIALY the part about the newspaper.

HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

> <www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/edcams/infosecurity/index.html>
>
> Naturally, this sounded WAY more interesting than work, so I checked it
> out.  I am pleased (?) to report that the website above is fer
> realz.  Also entertaining, in a "dear God..." kind of way.  Sample quote:
> "Dewie's wired, but carries his security shell no matter what he's doing
> on the Internet. Even though turtles take their time, Dewie crosses the
> finish line first because he takes the appropriate steps to avoid a
> disaster."

"4. Use strong passwords. Hackers may try to steal your passwords to gain
access to the personal information stored on your computer. To make it
tougher for them, use passwords that have at least eight characters and
include numbers or symbols. Avoid common words: Some hackers use programs
that can try every word in the dictionary. Don't use your personal
information, your login name or adjacent keys on the keyboard as passwords.

Don't share your passwords online or over the phone. Your Internet Service
Provider (ISP) should never ask for your password."

Great advice there.

"7. If your computer is infected, take action immediately. If your computer
has been hacked or infected by a virus, disconnect from the Internet right
away. Then scan your entire computer with fully updated anti-virus software.

Before you reconnect to the Internet, think about how your computer could
have been accessed and what you could have done to avoid it. Did you open an
email attachment and let loose a virus? Is your anti-virus software
out-of-date? Take steps to minimize the chances of it happening again."

If you're hacked it's over. Back up any vital data and format your hard
drive. Assume all backups are infected with viruses and treat them as such.
Most trojans cannot be detected by virus scanners.

Other then that issue (which could cause extensive arguments) they seem to
have done a pretty good job. It IS dumbed down, as it probably should be.

I think it's a pretty good job.

- --